We will learn and understand the usage of Enhanced Delegation for Microsoft Dataverse in Power Apps. Before we start, make sure to subscribe to CRM Crate so that you can stay up to date in the field of Power Apps.
What is delegation in Power Apps?
“Delegation” is where the expressiveness of Canvas Apps formulas suffice the need to minimize data moving over the network. As a app customizer / developer, the delegation is a very important concept to understand, especially if you are working with large sets of data in PowerApps. For example, when performing data operations like searching and filtering for specific records the delegation offloads the work to the data source. In simple words, it means that the operations like Filter, Lookup, and Search are performed at the data source instead of bringing the complete set of data to the application and then processing it locally.
Understanding Enhanced Delegation for Microsoft Dataverse
- Microsoft has provided a way to make more functions as delegable in Power Apps / Canvas App while working with Microsoft Dataverse as a source.
- The below given functions are not delegable and restricted the data access to up-to first 2000 rows (based on the app settings).
- We can now make the above given functions as delegable with help of the “Enhanced Delegation for Microsoft Dataverse”. Enabling this feature will leverage these functions to use an entire dataset directly without any delegation limits (Maximum 2000 rows).
- To enable the enhanced delegation, open the Canvas App in Power App Studio (https://make.powerapps.com/), click on Settings, navigate to Upcoming Features and enable the Enhanced Delegation as shown below.
- The below animation demonstrates the usage of Enhanced Delegation for Dataverse.